VOTE in the 2020 Election!
Voting is a powerful tool to build a better future for yourself and your community. Read our guide to voting resources for faculty and students at Penn State.
All Pennsylvania voters are eligible to vote by mail, but mail ballots must be requested by Oct. 27. The deadline for registering to vote is Oct. 19
Follow the latest climate news
Stay informed by following our list of great climate-focused news sources.
Join a local action group
- Awaken State: That’s us! You can sign up for our mailing list or get in touch with questions of ideas.
- Eco-Action: A student group focused on local environmental issues, learn more at their website.
- Sunrise Movement: Join the State College chapter of this national movement demanding climate action. Follow them on Facebook, Instagram, or Twitter.
Talk with one person every day about why you care about climate change: your neighbors, friends, family, co-workers, and more.
Share all the exciting ways climate action makes the world better:
- Clean air, water, and naturally grown food.
- More livable cities with better public transportation.
- Less corruption in government and a unified goal for humanity.
- Massive jobs growth through building green infrastructure and developing new technologies.
- Equality in education, nationalities, and gender.
Call your elected officials
Once you know about the issues that matter, call your local, state, and national representatives to ask them to support progressive climate action. No one likes talking on the phone, but it’s really easy and actually makes a difference!
Emissions from livestock account for 14.5% of all greenhouse emissions in the world, and two-thirds of that comes from cows. So eat more chicken, beans, and alternative proteins. Going full vegetarian or vegan is great, but even one or two meatless days per week makes a difference.
Support the AMAZING farmer’s markets in State College and avoid buying out-of-season produce that’s
Recycle when you can, but the better option is to re-use! Avoid one-time-use plastic and get the most out of everything you buy. Resist the temptation to go shopping every time you get the urge, and when you do, consider used options from Goodwill, Plato’s Closet, Kid-2-Kid, Craigslist, and Facebook Marketplace.